In the developing countries, various efforts have been made to improve the productivity, such as the implementation of industrial policies, technical innovation and the introduction of new management techniques. However, in order to implement those policies and maintain them effectively, it is essential to develop human resources with “Productivity Mind” in the enterprise level, industry level and also in the country level. The experiences of Japan in the past fifty years suggest how the development and effective application of productivity management concepts and techniques have played a crucial role in the overall development of economy and welfare in Japan. In particular, these concepts and techniques about Company-Wide Productivity Improvement (which is based on the participation among top managers, middle managers and employees), and Integrated Productivity Improvement (which is implemented by evaluating every management issues as the parts of business management and leading to improvement of management) are suggesting some practical ideas that the developing countries can adapt.
Course Period Online:
From January 18 to February 26, 2021 The program is structured by three parts as following;
Part 1: The course orientation by live streaming: January 18.
Part 2: On Demand Program: January 19 to February 17.
Part 3: Live-streaming lecture/discussion/group work/presentation: February 18 to February 26. In JAPAN：From October 17, 2021 to October 30, 2021
-In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that there is a possibility of changing course period or postponing/ cancel the course in Japan.
-Participation in the program both online and in Japan is an essential requirement for the completion of the course.
Expectations for the Participating Organizations:
(1) This program is designed primarily for organizations that intend to address specific issues or problems identified in their operation. Participating organizations are expected to use this project for those specific purposes.
(2) This program is enriched with contents and facilitation schemes specially developed in collaboration with relevant prominent organizations in Japan. These special features enable to meet specific requirements of applying organizations and effectively facilitate them toward solutions for the issues and problems.
(3) As this program is designed to facilitate organizations to come up with concrete solutions for their issues, participating organizations are expected to make due preparation before starting of this course.
(4) Participating organizations are also expected to make the best use of the results achieved by their participants.
Applying organizations are expected to select nominees who meet the following qualifications.
(1) Current Duties:
Consultants or advisers who are in the position to promote/implement business management or productivity improvement activity of manufacturing industries or enterprises which are especially small and medium enterprises (Those who are in the position of leadership to develop human resource in the target organization are much preferable).
(2) Experience in the relevant field:
・ Have sufficient level of leadership to consult enterprises in their own country on practical corporate management or productivity improvement through production administration.
・ Have sufficient practical knowledge and ideas on:
a. overall business management
b. improvement of plant-level productivity
c. production management techniques and their application methods
d. promotion of SMEs activity
(3) Educational Background:
be graduated university/commercial-college or those who possess equivalent academic background.
(4) Have an ability to operate spreadsheet software “Microsoft Excel” and “Microsoft PowerPoint”.
(5) Internet Connection:
Meet the condition of “11. Circumstance for Internet Connection” II. Description on page 7.
have a competent command of spoken and written English which is equal to TOEFL IBT 65-80 (CBT 180-213, PBT 510-550) or more.
must be in good health, both physically and mentally, to participate in the Program in Japan. Pregnant applicants are not recommended to apply due to the potential risk of health and life issues of mother and fetus.
Attend all the program including Online and In Japan Program
(1) Expectations for the Participants: be active in participating in cross-cultural activities which aims to supplement understanding of typical Japanese traditions and customs.
(2) Age: be between the ages of 30 and 45 years
(3) Gender Consideration: JICA is promoting gender equality. Women are encouraged to apply for the program.
(4) Others: be able to select a model company (company or client which he / she is dealing with in his / her job, excluding his / her own organization) to set in his / her action plan to implement productivity improvement activities after returning home. Please refer to ANNEX II for the details
Travel to Japan
(1) Air Ticket: The cost of a round-trip ticket between an international airport designated by JICA and Japan will be borne by JICA.
(2) Travel Insurance: Term of Insurance: From arrival to departure in Japan. The traveling time outside Japan shall not be covered.
Accommodation in Japan: JICA will arrange the following accommodations for the participants in Japan
The following expenses will be provided for the participants by JICA: Online:
(1) Expenses for program implementation, including materials.
(2) a round-travel expense to the place where participants take this program in case participants will not take this program at home or office. For the details, kindly ask at JICA office. In Japan: The following expenses will be provided for the participants by JICA:
(3) Allowances for accommodation, living expenses, outfit, and shipping
(4) Expenses for study tours (basically in the form of train tickets.)
(5) Free medical care for participants who become ill after arriving in Japan (costs related to pre-existing illness, pregnancy, or dental treatment are not included)
(6) Expenses for program implementation, including materials
Pre-departure Orientation: A pre-departure orientation will be held at the respective country’s JICA office (or Japanese Embassy), to provide participants with details on travel to Japan, conditions of the workshop, and other matters.
Circumstance for Internet Connection The program is conducted through a platform “Zoom Webinar and/or Meeting”. It’s necessary to ensure a stable and secure internet connection to access the platform. Internet speeds of downloading and uploading are recommended approximately 3 to 5 Mbps. (0.5 to 1.5 Mbps at least). Please refer to this URL for how to measure internet speed. https://www.speedtest.net/
Mobile phones are not recommended. 【Note】If you are not able to arrange internet connection or necessary devices, please consult with JICA office in your country.
Attendance requirement Participation in the program both online and in Japan is an essential requirement for the completion of the course. Partial attendance is not allowed.
Conditions for Attendance:
(1) to strictly adhere to the program schedule.
(2) not to change the program topics.
(3) to attend all the program: partial attendance is not allowed.
(4) not to extend the period of stay in Japan.
(5) not to be accompanied by family members during the program.
(6) to return to home countries at the end of the program in accordance with the travel schedule designated by JICA.
(7) to refrain from engaging in any political activities, or any form of employment for profit or gain.
(8) to observe Japanese laws and ordinances. If there is any violation of said laws and ordinances, participants may be required to return part or all of the training expenditure depending on the severity of said violation.
(9) to observe the rules and regulations of the accommodation and not to change the accommodation designated by JICA
1.Due to the limited availability of the personal computers in JICA, participants are advised to bring your own personal computer if possible, in order to prepare presentation and develop an action plan. If you cannot bring your own PC, please inform JICA Tokyo by October 1, 2021.
2. If you have a check on medical history of your application form, please write on detail about your condition and submit a certificate which your own doctor writes clearly you have no any obstacles to participate in.
3. Belongings to participate in-plant practice In this training course, the participants will take part in-plant practice; therefore, you should bring the following things.
2) Long sleeves jacket
3) Pants for the in-plant practice
4. JICA TOKYO had created a video of this training course (2018). Please refer to the training at the URL below. (The language is based on Japanese; two interviews from participants are in English). https://youtu.be/DPIb_2DxLGM
5. Training certificate will be issued after completion of both online and in Japan program.
6. Important date and Closing date for submission
Application Form and Inception Report November 30, 2020
Notice of Acceptance December 10, 2020
Preliminary Survey Sheet January 8, 2021
Presentation (Summary of Preliminary Survey Sheet and inception report) January 18, 2021
PC rental closing date October 1, 2021